The initial consultation is a brief chat designed to let the two of us get to know one another. Lasting approximately 15 minutes, I’ll have you describe in general terms what’s going on and what you’d want to work on in counseling. I describe how I operate, some of the general policies of my practice and answer any questions you may have. My consultations take place on the same HIPAA compliant (US Health security protocol) platform I use to conduct sessions so they do require a solid internet connection.
I offer one-on-one video-based therapy and counseling to adults and adolescents who have found that life isn’t going so hot.
But here’s the thing – therapy mostly works, but it really works when you and your therapist click. Read below to see if any of the following sound like you.
- Some days, maybe you feel like you have your shit together, but most of the time, you feel like any moment, your life is going to cave in around you.
- You’ve considered therapy before, maybe you’ve even tried it, but it just didn’t feel right and you stopped going.
- You’ve got great friends, a great partner, maybe even solid relationships with your parents, but no one really knows what’s going on in your head. If they did, would they still want to be around you?
- You’ve been able to excel at work/school, but you’re not really sure how you’ve pulled it off. Luck perhaps. Or maybe some strange twist of fate. But you know you’re batting WAY above your average. You constantly live in fear that someone is going to figure it out, see you as the imposter you are, and announce your incompetence to the world.
- Your life is awesome. You have the job you want. The body you want. The relationship you want. The life you want. Except….somehow….you’re still effing miserable and you just don’t get it.
- Life sucks. Every day you wake up with the same thoughts. You’ll probably be fired any minute. Your wife is definitely thinking of leaving you. Your kids are disasters and will need years of therapy to undo all the bad parenting you’ve inflicted on them. You have a weird stabbing pain in your side that’s definitely indicative of a cancerous growth. You keep thinking that next month or next year will be better, but then it’s just as awful and you can’t figure out how to get off this hamster wheel.
- You look okay on the outside, but every day you’re walking around in what feels like a state of panic. This can’t be right. You’re convinced that there’s something wrong with you. Any time you try to bring this up with friends/family/doctors, they just roll their eyes, leaving you feeling even more alone.
- You’ve had some darker stuff happen in your past, but you’ve moved on from it and try not to think/talk about it. But as years have passed, you start to question if maybe all that baggage isn’t still affecting you and your ability to form the relationships you want.
Areas of Clinical Focus
In more succinct language, these are the concerns I specialize in:
- Imposter Syndrome
- Anxiety/Constant Worry
- Social Anxiety
- Expat life
- Military Life
- Low self-esteem
- Eating Disorders
- Poor self-image
- Obsessional thoughts
- Relationship challenges
The following are areas that I do not currently specialize in. If one of these is your primary reason for seeking therapy, you would be better served find a therapist who lives/breathes this stuff. If you’ve been having trouble finding a therapist that fits that bill, shoot me an email and let me know you’re looking for referrals.
- Substance Use/Abuse
- LGBTQ+ concerns
- Anger Management
- Austism Spectrum
- Domestic Violence
**Currently not accepting new Couples Therapy clients **
In video-based couples therapy, we assess how well you and your partner function together (based on the work of John Gottman, PhD) and identify the areas that aren’t working. Unlike in individual therapy where a single person is the “client”, in couples work, both partners form the unit. Because I operate exclusively online, you do not need to be co-located with your partner for the sessions unless you reside in the US, in which case individual state licensure laws must be verified prior to beginning.